Des Moines County was named for the Des Moines River.
Court was held in several different buildings in Burlington for years before a courthouse was designated. Des Moines County’s first courthouse was Marion Hall, a two-story brick building constructed in 1850 by E. D. Rand and H. W. Starr and leased to the county for use as a courthouse.
The county later purchased Mozart Hall, and court was first held in that location in 1868. It was destroyed by fire in 1873, and court returned to Marion Hall until a new courthouse was completed.
A four-story brick and Ohio sandstone courthouse with a cupola was completed in 1882.
Today’s courthouse is a brick PWA Moderne structure designed by architects Keffer and Jones, completed in 1940. The Des Moines County courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003
Visit the Des Moines County web site for more information.
Do you have photos, facts, or stories about the Des Moines County Courthouse? Post a response, or send email to email@example.com