Franklin County named for Benjamin Franklin, the Founding Father, printer, scientist, and statesman.
The first courthouse was built on the courthouse square in 1857 in Benjamin, later renamed Hampton. It was made mostly of native lumber, resembling a one-room schoolhouse. It was used until 1866, when it was sold and moved to make room for a new building.
A second courthouse was built in 1866 in the center of the square. The two story building with a cupola was constructed of stone and timber. It served the county until 1889.
The present courthouse, a stone and brick structure designed by T. D. Allen with Romanesque architecture was completed in 1891. It features a large clock tower, with a large bell and classical figures at each corner. The Franklin County courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Visit the Franklin County web site for more information.
Do you have photos, facts, or stories about the Franklin County Courthouse? Post a response, or send email to email@example.com