Ida County may have been named for Mount Ida in Greece, or for Ida Smith, the first European-American child born in the county. Court was held for several years in the home of Judge Moorehead.
The first courthouse was a two-story square structure in Ida, built in 1871 and destroyed by fire in 1877. A building was constructed in 1879 with private funds, which the county could rent or purchase for the courthouse. The county moved into this building in 1880, but soon began planning a new courthouse.
The current courthouse, a brick Victorian Gothic and Italianate structure designed by architect J. P. Bryant, was built from 1880-83 on Ida Grove’s highest hill. An administration annex was added to the site in 1982. The Ida County courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Visit the Ida County Economic Development web site for more information.
Do you have photos, facts, or stories about the Ida County Courthouse? Post a response, or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org