Allamakee County was named for either Allan Makee, a trapper and trader, or a name of Native American origin.
A log house built in 1852 served as the first courthouse. Used for one year for county business, it was later moved and used as a blacksmith shop.
In 1853, a small frame building was erected in Waukon. A second frame building was placed beside it in 1857, and these two buildings served as the county courthouse until 1861.
During a fight for the county seat, two buildings were built in 1861 with communities offering to donate the building to the county as the courthouse. Waukon built a two-story brick. In 1861, Columbus and Lansing built a two-story stone courthouse at “The Point” between the towns. The county seat was located at “The Point” from 1861-1867.
The county seat was returned to Waukon following an 1867 Supreme Court decision.
Allamakee County’s current courthouse, a PWA Moderne design by Charles Altfillisch was completed in 1939. The former courthouse, now a museum, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. The current Allamakee County courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
Visit the Allamakee County web site for more information.
Do you have photos, facts, or stories about the Allamakee County Courthouse? Post a response, or send email to email@example.com