Harrison County was named for William Henry Harrison, the ninth president of the United States.
Magnolia was named Harrison County’s county seat in 1853. The first courthouse was a log cabin. A fire destroyed this courthouse along with the county records in 1854.
A second courthouse, a small frame structure, was built in 1854, and served until condemned in 1873. A brick office building was then used by the county for three years.
The county seat moved to Logan in 1876, and a two-story brick courthouse was built. By the turn of the century it was too small to meet the needs of the growing county, and plans began for a new courthouse.
The current courthouse, a three-story Classical Revival Beaux Arts structure designed by Joseph E. Mills, was completed in 1911. It was constructed with concrete and steel, and faced with Bedford limestone. The Harrison County courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Visit the Harrison County web site for more information.
Do you have photos, facts, or stories about the Harrison County Courthouse? Post a response, or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org