Worth County was named for William Jenkins Worth, a general in the Black Hawk War and Mexican-American War.
Worth County rented a small stone building for county use in Northwood for three dollars per month. In 1865, a two-story courthouse was built.
After an attempt to change the county seat, a two-story Italianate brick courthouse was built in Northwood in 1880. After its use as a courthouse, this building served as a school, library, city hall, and now as the Worth County Historical Museum. The Old Worth County Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
The current courthouse is a Romanesque brick structure with a small tower designed by H. R. P. Hamilton and completed in 1893. An addition in 1990 provided a new jail, magistrate courtroom, and offices. The Worth County courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Visit the Worth County web site for more information.
Do you have photos, facts, or stories about the Worth County Courthouse? Post a response, or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org