Dickinson County was named for Senator Daniel Stevens Dickinson of New York
Dickinson County’s first courthouse was begun in 1859, but before completion was used as barracks for Civil War troops from 1862-65. The two-story courthouse was finally completed in 1868. It was destroyed by fire in 1871.
The second courthouse was constructed in 1872 on the same foundation using bricks salvaged from the first courthouse. This building was condemned in 1880.
The third courthouse was a brick and stone Romanesque design by T. D. Allen and completed in 1891, using bricks from the prior courthouses in the concrete foundation. Additions in 1957, 1976, and 1978 helped to meet the growing needs of the county.
Dickinson County’s current courthouse is a two-story brick structure featuring glass panels along its entrance with a replica tower resting in the center of the memorial plaza. Designed by RDG Planning and Design, groundbreaking ceremonies took place in August, 2004. The new Dickinson County courthouse will have its official dedication ceremony in June, 2009.
Visit the Dickinson County web site for more information.
Do you have photos, facts, or stories about the Dickinson County Courthouse? Post a response, or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org