Ringgold County was named for Major General Samuel B. Ringgold, who suffered the first American death in the Mexican-American War during the Battle of Palo Alto.
Ringgold County’s first courthouse was a small log structure built in Mount Ayr in 1856. It was destroyed by a tornado in 1858, scattering logs and county records; some records were never recovered.
The second courthouse was a larger frame building, constructed of native lumber. It served as the courthouse for about 25 years before it became too small and unsafe to use.
The third courthouse was completed in 1884, a two-story building with a tall clocktower made of locally fired bricks and grey stone. Poor drainage and inferior bricks eventually caused large cracks to form, and the building was condemned in 1921. Offices moved to a garage temporarily.
Today’s courthouse is a Classical Revival and Tudor structure designed by architects Keffer and Jones. This three story brick structure was built in 1926-27. The Ringgold County courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Visit the Ringgold County web site for more information.
Do you have photos, facts, or stories about the Ringgold County Courthouse? Post a response, or send email to email@example.com