Jasper County was named for Sergeant William Jasper, a hero of the American Revolutionary War.
Jasper County’s first courthouse was a small frame structure built in Newton in 1847.
The second courthouse was a two-story sandstone and brick building faced with limestone, built in 1858.
Today’s courthouse, a three story Beaux Arts design with Georgian Colonial detail by Proudfoot and Bird, was completed in 1911. The exterior is Bedford limestone, lined with brick. The interior features marble wainscoting, and ceramic tile mosaic floors, with the Seal of Jasper County on the rotunda floor. Only the doors and window casings are made from wood. The interior is decorated with ceramic tile and marble wainscoting. The dome features four paintings by Edgar Cameron depicting scenes in Jasper County’s history. The Jasper County courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Visit the Jasper County web site for more information.
Do you have photos, facts, or stories about the Jasper County Courthouse? Post a response, or send email to email@example.com