Chickasaw County was named for the Chickasaw Native American tribe.
Chickasaw County’s first courthouse was a log cabin built in Bradford in 1854. The county seat moved to New Hampton (originally called Chickasaw Center) in 1857.
The courthouse in New Hampton was completed in 1865. The frame building, with a one-story brick addition in 1876, was destroyed by fire in 1880.
Chickasaw County’s third courthouse was built in 1881 in New Hampton, despite campaigns to move the county seat. Citizens of New Hampton supplied nearly half the cost of the brick and stone two story building with a bell tower. Wings were added on the north and south side of the courthouse in 1905 and 1906.
Chickasaw County’s current courthouse was completed in 1929. It is a moderne art deco design by Ralston and Ralson built with Bedford limestone. The Chickasaw County courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Visit the Chickasaw County web site for more information.
Do you have photos, facts, or stories about the Chickasaw County Courthouse? Post a response, or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org